Windows 2.0 was a 16-bit operating environment from Microsoft.
Windows 2.0 was officially released on 9 December 1987, and superceded Windows 1.0. It was succeeded by Windows 2.1x in 1988, Windows 2.11 in 1989 then Windows 3.0 in 1990. Windows 2.0 was officially supported by Microsoft until December 31, 2001. It was the first Windows to have minimization and maximization.
- Overlapping windows (Windows 1.x could only tile windows)
- Better keyboard shortcuts
- Improved shell design
- VGA graphic support
- EMS memory support
Applications that shipped with Windows 2.0:
Screenshots of Windows 2.x
- GUIdebook: Windows 2.0 Gallery – A website dedicated to preserving and showcasing Graphical User Interfaces
- ComputerHope.com: Microsoft Windows history
- Microsoft article with details about the different versions of Windows