Satya Narayana Nadella (born August 19, 1967) is the current chief executive officer (CEO) and chairman of the board of Microsoft.
Early life and education
Nadella was born in 1967 in Hyderabad, India to a Telugu-speaking Hindu family. He attended the Hyderabad Public School in Begumpet and received a BSEE from the Manipal Institute of Technology. In 1984, Nadella immigrated to the United States to earn a MS in computer science from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee in 1990, and a MBA from the University of Chicago in 1996.
Nadella joined Microsoft in 1992 and rose to become the executive vice president of the Cloud and Enterprise group, responsible for building and running the company's Computing Platforms, Developer Tools and Cloud Computing Services. Nadella was appointed as CEO on February 4, 2014, succeeding Steve Ballmer. By 2020, Nadella became one of the largest individual shareholders of Microsoft.
On June 16, 2021, the Microsoft board announced that they had unanimously voted to appoint Nadella as its chairman, succeeding John W. Thompson, who remains on the board as lead independent director. According to Thompson, Nadella “earned the right to be chairman of the board” after overseeing a 650% growth in market value of the company to over $2 trillion. Nadella's success has been tied to his strategy of shifting Microsoft's business model from traditional desktop PC software to cloud computing.
- When diversity is seen as discrimination by Aakar Patel, Mint. 2014-02-15.
- Satya Nadella, LinkedIn. Accessed 2021-07-11.
- Life and career biography of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella by Jennifer Fabiano, The Ladders. 2019-09-06.
- Microsoft Board names Satya Nadella as CEO, Microsoft. 2014-02-04.
- Top Microsoft Shareholders by Nathan Reiff, Investopedia. 2020-12-22.
- Microsoft board of directors announces role changes and quarterly dividend, Microsoft News Center. 2021-06-16.
- Microsoft’s lead director says CEO Satya Nadella ‘earned the right’ to be chairman, too by Kevin Stankiewicz, CNBC. 2021-07-07.
- Bill Gates to 'substantially increase time' at Microsoft after stepping down as chairman by Jacob Kastrenakes, The Verge. 2014-02-04.
- We’re building Azure as the world’s computer: Satya Nadella, Microsoft. 2020-02-24.
- Microsoft's Share Price Quadrupled Under Satya Nadella by Felix Richter at Statista (2019-07-19)
|Bill Gates • Paul Allen|
|Board of directors|
|Dina Dublon · Bill Gates · Raymond Gilmartin · Reed Hastings · Maria Klawe · David Marquardt · Satya Nadella · Charles Noski · Helmut Panke|
|Senior Leadership Team|
|Satya Nadella (CEO) · Scott Guthrie · Amy Hood (CFO) · Harry Shum · Phil Spencer|
|Joe Belfiore · Richard Rashid (SVP) · S. Somasegar (SVP)|
|Engineering groups (Accessories · Mobile) · Digital Crimes Unit · Garage · Press · Research · Studios · .NET Foundation · Outercurve Foundation|
|Algeria · Egypt · India · Japan · Pakistan|
|Operating systems (Microsoft Windows) · Software (Office · Servers · Visual Studio) · Band · HoloLens · Lumia · Surface · Xbox|
|Bing · Channel 9 · CodePlex · Developer Network · MSN · Office 365 · OneDrive · Outlook.com · Microsoft TechNet · Windows Store|
|Build · MIX · PDC · TechEd · WinHEC · WPC · OneDrive · Outlook.com · TechNet · Windows Store|
|Bundling of Microsoft Windows · iLoo · Internet Explorer · _NSAKEY · Windows · (2000 · ME · XP · Vista) · Xbox 360|